A week car insurance for 18 year old

last updated
7 replies
5 users
Steph_1 03 Aug 2009


I need temporary car insurance for a week on my parents' car. I'm 18 and the insurance company that we have on said they won't do it - you have to be 24. Does anyone know any other way I can do this?



Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Driver SOS (UK)

Get help with your own questions, find what's new and talk with people on the same journey

This is a premium community exclusive to our members to discuss all things motoring where some of the discussions have been made public but read-only for you to get a taste of what it's like on the inside. Membership is £2.99 for 30 days access, collected through Paypal and can be renewed or cancelled as you see fit.
2897 members . 1217 topics . 2221 posts
sammyn1ne 18 Oct 2019

Insure 18 year old daughter to drive car for 2 weeks

I want to insure my 18 year old daughter to drive my car for 2 weeks but my insurance company won't do it. Is there an insurance company that will? Can you name an insurance company?

[Migrated from previous topic 11115 dated 07 Jun 2010]

gices 18 Oct 2019

You need to tell me whether your daughter has already passed her driving test or not, that is, whether she holds a full UK driving licence yet. As strange as this may sound, if she hasn't got her full driving licence yet, you may be able to get short term insurance as a learner for her but in the event that she has, 2 weeks insurance cover is not available for her because of her age. If you're under 21 short term car insurance is not for you and you will need to look for an annual policy (add her onto your policy or purchase a policy of her own for her).

[Migrated from previous post 995 dated 07 Jun 2010]

DeniseSinger 18 Oct 2019

Temporary cover for 18 year old son to drive for one day

I am trying to get temporary insurance for my 18yr old son to drive my car for one day, just so that he can do some of the driving to get him to university this weekend. My own insurer is not able to help, can you? With thanks Denise

[Migrated from previous topic 11411 dated 14 Sep 2010]

gices 18 Oct 2019

At the moment, nobody will insure someone who is under 21 for 1 day. The minimum cover that you can get for your son is for 1 month.

[Migrated from previous post 1268 dated 26 Sep 2010]

Sarah_1 18 Oct 2019

Eighteen year old weekend insurance


I need to go on my aunty's car insurance over the weekend. I'm 18 and most insurers are saying they will only insure 21 years and over on short term insurance. I've been on the insurance before, could you please advise of any insurer who will insure an 18 year old?


[Migrated from previous topic 10033 dated 22 Feb 2008]

gices 18 Oct 2019

If you already have car insurance in your own name, then you are most certainly allowed to drive your aunty's car with her permission. You need to look for the words "can drive another car with the owner’s permission" on your policy. This should give you third party cover which will allow you to drive her car over the weekend.

If you've never been registered for car insurance or if you cannot find the words stated above, that's when things become difficult. Since you're 18 and all short term policies require that you are 21 or over, you will not be able to get temporary cover.

[Migrated from previous post 45 dated 06 Aug 2008]

gices 08 Sep 2009

At the moment, you cannot get car insurance for short duration if you're only 18 years old. Actually for drivers under 21, insurers are not providing any car insurance cover if it's on a temporary basis. You cannot get a week's insurance cover but you can get a minimum of a month car insurance policy though.