Temporary insurance for 17 and 18 year old

Posted by
3 replies
4 users

Hi, do you know if it's at all possible to get insurance for four 17/18 year old drivers, for a short period of time?

I've been looking all over the place, and it seems that you have to be over 21 to get temporary insurance!

3 Replies

anonymous_2 Level 1

Im 18 and would like to drive my nans car while i visit her for 3 weeks but neither of our policies cover me to do this and its too far to drive my own car there. this is so stupid as ive been driving since 16 (dual uk/us citizen) and have NEVER had a claim or accident.

Amreen_1 Level 1

well..thats just out of order and really silly!!!they should give young drivers the oppurtunity to drive other cars instead of chating nonsense all the time!!!

gices Level 6

Unfortunately, there are no car insurance companies on the market at the moment which will insure drivers under the age of 21. This is probably because younger drivers are at a higher risks and giving them insurance cover will more likely result into claims which insurers don't really want as this will bring down their profits.

If they are learner drivers (provisional licence holders), then you can get short term insurance for them. Otherwise they will need to be added as named drivers on somebody's else policy.

Have something to say?
Ask a Question