Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Join Community
Driver SOS (UK)
2885 members 1214 topics 2221 posts

Can I ride a 125cc bike on full car licence without CBT?

last updated
6 replies
3 users
anonymous_2 gices
Jack_3 16 Mar 2010

My cbt runs out in 3 weeks but I have a full car licence. Can I still drive a 125cc when my cbt runs out or do I need to redo it?



gices 17 Mar 2010

Even with a full car driving licence, you cannot ride a 125cc bike because you will need the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) certificate to do so.

This means that you will need to retake your CBT if you wish to ride the 125cc bike and that's going to be valid for another 2 years if you pass.

You may want to consider passing the motorcycle test (both theory and practical) so that you don't have to keep on doing the CBT after it expires. This is going to save you time and effort and allow you to ride your bike whenever you like without worrying about passing tests.

On a side note, a car licence issued before the 1st of February 2001 entitles you to ride a 50cc moped (max 30mph) but if you licence was issued after that date, then you will need a CBT.

Source :

anonymous_2 29 Sep 2010

You definitely need to redo the CBT. Bear in mind that you need to display L plates (D plates in Wales) within the 2 years that the CBT is valid unless you pass the motorcycle test (both theory and practical).

anonymous_2 16 Aug 2010

No, you cannot ride it.

anonymous_2 30 Jun 2010

Does this apply even though I passed my driving test (car) in 1989?

gices 11 Jul 2012

Yes, you will need to complete the CBT if you wish to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc.

anonymous_2 01 Feb 2011

If you pass your driving test while the CBT is still valid then it does not expire.