Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Join Community
Driver SOS (UK)
2897 members 1217 topics 2221 posts

How long do points stay on your licence?

last updated
1 reply
2 users

When people are caught speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol, jumping traffic lights etc, their licence are endorsed with penalty points. What many people know is that after 2 years of driving and accumulating 12 points, they will be disqualified from driving. If you get 6 points within the first two years of passing your driving test, then you will be banned from driving as well. The real question though is how long will these points stay on your licence for?

There are many different reasons as to why you would have penalty points on your licence and depending on why they were endorsed, they can be on your licence for a period between 4 -11 years.

Depending of the severity of the offence, penalty points scale from one to eleven. Here's a guide to show you how long points can stay on your licence in regards to the motoring crime committed:

  • Drink driving and drugs, death caused by careless driving whilst under the influence of drugs or alcohol, causing death by careless driving then failing to provide a specimen for analysis. These convictions must stay on your licence for 11 years from the date of conviction.
  • Reckless/dangerous driving, offences resulting in disqualification, disqualified from holding a full driving licence until driving test has been passed. These convictions must stay on your licence for 4 years from the date of conviction.
  • For all other cases, penalty points can be removed 4 years from date of offence.

Removing expired endorsements from your driving licence

Contrary to what many people believe, you cannot have endorsements removed before the stated period described above even if you are willing to pay for it. Once the period for the penalty points have elapsed, you can apply to have them removed from your licence. All you have to do is:

  • Get a D1 application form from the Post Office or online through the DVLA website and fill it in.
  • Enclose your photocard and paper counterpart with the correct fee.
  • The DVLA will then exchange your licence for a new one minus the endorsements.

To avoid all this hassle, here's a simple suggestion - don’t get caught and don't do illegal things!

gices Published 10 Nov 2009
Gices Abraham is the founder of Clever Dodo. He's a life coach and advocates the practice of MAM (Movement/Arts/Meditation) for a well-balanced and happy life. Born in Mauritius and now living in the UK, he usually blogs about fitness, music, spirituality and driving topics to pass on his knowledge.

1 Comment

Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Driver SOS (UK)

Get help with your own questions, discover what's new and talk with people doing the same thing

This is a premium community exclusive to our members to discuss all things motoring where some of the discussions have been made public but read-only for you to get a taste of what it's like on the inside. Membership is £2.99 for 30 days access, collected through Paypal and can be renewed or cancelled as you see fit.
2897 members . 1217 topics . 2221 posts
anonymous_2 23 Sep 2013

I had a dd40 ban with retest, done it, just wondering how long before it comes off counterpart date of coviction was 01 May 09.