Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Browse Topics
Driver SOS (UK)
2891 members 1215 topics 2221 posts

2 years driving ban and need to do a medical

last updated
4 replies
4 users
Darren_2 15 Aug 2010

Hi can you advise me please? I was arrested for drink driving and I was given 2 years ban but the court brought it down to 18 months. I was so stupid, it won't happen again. I lost my job as a plumber and my wife is disabled - it was her car I was driving and I nearly lost my wife. I have done community service, paid the fine and paid for the drink driving course. I have done 3 weeks of the course and I am told I have to have a medical. I don't know when this will be. Do you get told? And when will I get my licence back. I still have a drink but I take the bus or walk. I will not drink and drive again. Woud be gratefull for advice, thanks darren


Like what you see?

Our one-click login makes it easy to share your thoughts. You can ask your own questions, get email notification of replies to your posts, add your comments, and give a thumb-up to the things you like.

Just use your Facebook/Google/Clever Dodo account to login.

flossy 01 Nov 2019

Applying for licence back after 2 years of a 3 year driving ban

October 2010 I will have completed 2 years of a 3 year driving ban for drink related offences. How do I apply to the court and request that my licence is returned? I have also completed an alcohol awareness course.

[Migrated from previous topic 11104 dated 02 Jun 2010]

gices 01 Nov 2019

To get your licence back earlier than when your driving ban expires, you will have to write to the court where you were sentenced and give reasons why you're looking to have your licence back. Usually if there have been a change of circumstances in your life, then you can expect a successful application. Otherwise your application will be rejected. At the end of the day, it's at the discretion of the court to give you back your licence or not before you driving ban ends.

The drink driving awareness course you're referring to knocks off upto a quarter of your disqualification and they should tell you how many months off your driving you're getting when you enroll on the course. Not sure if you're able to use this in conjunction with requesting your driving licence early but if you've already served 2 years of a 3 year ban, then yes you can request your licence from the court.

[Migrated from previous post 964 dated 02 Jun 2010]

Bulldog 16 Aug 2010

Darren, If your reading was over 87mg 35 is the limit, you refused a breath test or you had been convicted before for the same offence in the last 10 years, you will have to undergo a medical that would be with an independent doctor (which you will have to pay for). Your own doctor will be informed & will also have to submit your patient confidentials to the DVLA. If any of the above, you will receive a letter from the DVLA about 2 months prior to getting your licence back. Good luck & don't D&D

gices 15 Aug 2010

You will be told when you will need to have the drink drive medical test and it's usually just before they hand over the licence back to you. I suppose the rehab course has taken 6 months off your original ban as you get upto a quarter of the ban off when you sign up for this course. So you will have to wait when the 18 months is over to be able to drive again, once you have received your licence.