Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Join Community
Driver SOS (UK)
2900 members 1218 topics 2221 posts

Can I transfer my no claims bonus to my husband who is a named driver on my policy?

last updated
4 replies
4 users
gices anonymous_2
Tonya 06 Jul 2010

I am a main driver and policy holder and my husband is a named driver. I have 6 years no claims bonus, can my husband become the main driver of this car and take on my no claims bonus if I want to buy a new car. I am aware that I would have to start over again.


Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Driver SOS (UK)

Get help with your own questions, discover what's new and talk with people doing the same thing

This is a premium community exclusive to our members to discuss all things motoring where some of the discussions have been made public but read-only for you to get a taste of what it's like on the inside. Membership is £9.99 for 30 days access, collected through Paypal and can be subsequently renewed or cancelled as you see fit.
2900 members . 1218 topics . 2221 posts
gices 06 Jul 2010

Updated Oct 2019

Some insurers will allow you to do that and others won't. You'd have to call them up to find out.

Please note, the spouse who received the transferred NCB may not get the same level of discount that the person who built up the no claims history would get.

Previous answer, still applicable for some insurers

No, you cannot transfer your no claims bonus (NCB) to your husband.

You can transfer the NCB from one insurer to another or from one car to another but it cannot be transferred to another person I'm afraid.

When you buy the new car, you have the option to carry forward your no claims to it or you can start with zero no claims on this one and leave all your no claims on the old car. NCB can be applied to one car at a time.

You can also become a named driver on the old car and have your husband as the main driver. It is worth contacting your existing insurer to see if they will give your husband a certain no claims discount if he stays with the company but become the policyholder (provided he hasn't had any fault accidents as the named driver). Many insurers have started rewarding named drivers with no claims discount if they have been claim-free.

anonymous_2 23 Sep 2013

I have become a named driver on my husband's insurance as we have gone down to one car. Will I use the ten years' no claims I currently have as I am no longer a policy holder?

DukieMogDog 01 Jan 2011

I have just transfered my no NCD to my wife as she is the main driver on my policy. So even though the policy is mine, she will earn the no claims discount. She already has her own NCD which she uses on her own policy for another car which will remain uneffected.

anonymous_2 23 Sep 2013

We have one car between us my wife wants to buy her own car she is named as spouse on policy in my insurance. She wants to take out her own policy will that affect her ncd? She has been driving for 25 years with no claims.