One day car insurance on provisional licence

last updated
7 replies
6 users
SHANNON_1 01 Apr 2009

Collingwood Learner Driver Insurance I'm just wondering whether I can get insured for 1 day with a provisional driver's licence?


Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Driver SOS (UK)

Get help with your own questions, find what's new and talk with people on the same journey

This is a premium community exclusive to our members to discuss all things motoring where some of the discussions have been made public but read-only for you to get a taste of what it's like on the inside. Membership is £2.99 for 30 days access, collected through Paypal and can be renewed or cancelled as you see fit.
2897 members . 1217 topics . 2221 posts
GeorgeAwuor 01 Nov 2019

One day learner insurance

I hold a learner's license. I am seeking to buy a one-day insurance cover for today (7/11/2009) to enable me to drive my car from the seller to my address, accompanied by a full UK driving license holder.

[Migrated from previous topic 10735 dated 06 Nov 2009]

gices 01 Nov 2019

Short term car insurance policies are strict as it is for holders of a full driving licence, so you can stipulate how difficult this is going to be for you now. Actually, it's impossible to get 1 day car insurance as a learner. No one will insure you at the moment because the shortest period of insurance cover that you can get as a learner is 4 weeks which is a lot more than you're looking for. The best thing for you to do is ask the person who is accompanying you to drive the car for you. If the person has a fully comprehensive policy, then the latter may be allowed to drive another car with Third Party insurance only. However the insurance policy needs to be checked to see if that's included as part of the policy as not all policies allow this. Otherwise, that person can purchase car insurance for one day to drive your car to your address.

[Migrated from previous post 641 dated 07 Nov 2009]

lrlee2 16 Apr 2010

I have just purchased insurance for 1 day on a provisional license with, it cost £25.25.

Bruce 24 Sep 2009

Not to my knowledge. I think you probably struggled with that one. Out of interest, if ever you read this page again OP, did you find a company that does it? I have a website and would like to know so that i can put it on there. Cheers.

gices 28 Aug 2009


With a provisional licence, you always need to have someone over 21 with at least 3 years full driving licence to accompany you. The person who is supervising you does not need to be insured on your car because he/she is not driving, but you are! Therefore you need to have adequate insurance cover in place for yourself if you are practicing in your own car.

Natasha_1 26 Jul 2009

I would like to buy my own car but I know I won't always have somebody around over 21 with a 3 year license to accompany me. I need 1 day insurance for the odd occasion when someone can accompany me when driving. Thanks

gices 01 Apr 2009


Insurance cover for 1 day is not available when you hold just a provisional licence. Most insurers will provide temp insurance cover for over 21s and only if you have a full licence. If I'm not mistaken, you must be looking to take your private car for your driving test - hence you're looking for just one day insurance. If that's the case, then it is better if you take a couple of lessons with a driving instructor so that he'll let you use his car for the practical test.

Otherwise let me know why you need insurance for just a day so that I can suggest something more appropriate.