Can I change the name for the main policy holder to mine, I am the named driver?

last updated
1 reply
2 users
Caroline_Ross 31 Dec 2012

I am the registered keeper of my car, but my now ex-partner is the name on the insurance policy and I am a named driver. We are no longer together, can I become the main name on the policy?

1 Comment

Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Driver SOS (UK)

Get help with your own questions, find what's new and talk with people on the same journey

This is a premium community exclusive to our members to discuss all things motoring where some of the discussions have been made public but read-only for you to get a taste of what it's like on the inside. Membership is £2.99 for 30 days access, collected through Paypal and can be renewed or cancelled as you see fit.
2897 members . 1217 topics . 2221 posts
gices 29 Jan 2013

If the VC5 document is in your name which means you're the registered keeper, then you would be able to change the main driver to yourself without any problems. However your insurance premiums may change as a result. For example, it could increase if you have less driving experience or no claims bonus than your ex-partner.

You should also be aware that your insurer may charge you an administration fee to edit the policy documents and send it back to you.