Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Browse Topics
Driver SOS (UK)
2896 members 1216 topics 2221 posts

Stroke victim, how can I get my licence back?

last updated
1 reply
2 users
stephen_2 26 Jul 2011
I had a mild stroke. Need help getting drivers lisence back.

1 Comment

Like what you see?

Our one-click login makes it easy to share your thoughts. You can ask your own questions, get email notification of replies to your posts, add your comments, and give a thumb-up to the things you like.

Just use your Facebook/Google/Clever Dodo account to login.

gices 26 Jul 2011
The law states that someone who has had a stroke or Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA) is not allowed to drive for 1 month after that happened even if you're feeling better. After the 4 weeks have elapsed, you should go to your GP for an assessment and if he thinks that you are fit to drive then, you may do so without informing the DVLA.

If your GP thinks that it might be unsafe for you to drive, then you should notify DVLA and they will make a decision on whether you should continue driving or not. This is done after enquiries with your GP and possibly an assessment at a mobility centre to better understand your situation and how this affects your driving.

So at the end of the day, it is really upto your GP and DVLA to see whether you are fit to drive for you to get your licence back.