Whilst disqualified am I still able to own a vehicle as long as it's taxed and tested and not driven by me?

last updated
2 replies
3 users
gices fickle
davidapril63 27 Apr 2011

Soon to be disqualified driver.

Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Join Community
Driver SOS (UK)

Ask your own questions, comment, vote and do more

This is a premium community which requires a one-time joining fee of £2.99.

This is less than the price of a pint but allows us to keep the community active and helpful and will allow you to ask as many questions as you want and get help with your queries.
2884 members 1212 topics 2221 posts


gices 27 Apr 2011

Yes. If you're keeping your car on public roads, you'll need to have it insured as well, otherwise you can declare it SORN.

Have you already told your current insurer about your disqualification? If not, you would need to do that as well. There are a couple of things that you need to take into consideration. First a disqualification will most likely increase your premiums when it's due for renewal. Second, if you're the only person driving the car, you might want to cancel your insurance (depending how long you have been banned for and whether you're going to park your car on private property) or change it to third party, fire and theft. Third, if you're declaring the vehicle as SORN and have paid a full year's road tax, you will be able to get a refund for that.

fickle 12 Jul 2011

Under the new regulations, you still need to insure the vehicle if it's taxed. The law has come into effect end of June 2011 I think. So you either need to get car insurance for it or declare it as SORN.

See this link for more information : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Own...