Insurance for disqualified drivers

Written by
2 replies
2 users

People can get driving bans for a number of different reasons - these include drink driving, totting up points, speeding, dangerous driving and driving under the influence of drugs. If you are disqualified from driving, you may face a ban of upto 10 years and be required to retake your test.

Under those circumstances, finding a cheap car insurance quote can be very hard if not impossible. Insurers may reject your quote or quote you a very high premium as a result of the disqualification. If you have been disqualified for less than two years, you may be able to use your no claims bonus to reduce the premiums you receive for convicted driver insurance.

UK Driving Conviction Codes – The most common violations
DR10, SP30, SP50, IN10, CU30, DD10, DR80, TS10, you can find out what code you have for your violation on your paper part of your driver’s licence counterpart.

Here is a list of what may contribute to your licence being disqualified

  • Speeding
  • Running a red light
  • Not signalling
  • Crossing the median
  • Driving in car pool lane
  • Not stopping for school bus
  • Not stopping for pedestrians
  • Not using seat belt
  • Driving on hard shoulder
  • Passing in a no passing zone
  • Drunk driving
  • Reckless driving
  • Driving without a license, insurance, or registration

How to get insurance for disqualified drivers
It’s better to go through a company who offers insurance for all types of driving bans; in this case you may be able to get a good quote. There have been companies that have managed to get convicted drivers really good quotes for really bad disqualifications. Here are some examples:

Male, 23, Ford Fiesta 1.3 - £500 third party, fire and theft
Male, 23, Jaguar XJ8, PE1, DR10 conviction and 1 year NCB - £500 fully comp
Male, 50, Ford Puma 1.6, PR5, 4 SP30 convictions, 5 month ban and 4 years NCB - £300

The best thing to do is shop around and check any forums that recommend an insurance company that specialises in disqualified driver insurance. If you have any of the conviction codes like DR10, DR20, DR30, DR40, DR50, DR60, DR70, and DR80, it may be harder to find an insurance company that will accept you. Don’t give up as there have been many successful drivers who have gotten impressive quotes even after being disqualified.

gices Level 6
I'm a Software Developer and the co-founder of Clever Dodo. Born in Mauritius and now living in the UK, I usually blog about fitness, music, spirituality and driving topics to pass on my knowledge.

2 Replies

anonymous_2 Level 1

I've been disqualified from driving for 12 months. Now I've got my licence back and on the counter section it's got offence code are 3 different ones (cd10)-(sp30)-(in10). I've got a car and want to get insurance but don't know if I should declare them to my insurance company for the simple fact I HAVE NO POINTS WHAT DO I DO?????????

anonymous_2 Level 1

Tell the insurance company, if you do not declare these offences and you have an accident and you are required to claim, they will reject the claim. You MAY also be given a conviction for driving whilst uninsured, this will increase your premiums, get ulyou points'. Or even disqualified

Have something to say?
Ask a Question