Taxing a car where I'm registered keeper but insurance is not in my name

last updated
1 reply
2 users
LouiseEvans 03 Jun 2010

I have bought a car so the log book is in my name. I have a provisional licence so I have had to insure it in somebody else name to be able to drive it. I am on the insurance as a named driver would I be able to go to the post office to be able to tax it there and then would I be able to tax it in online?

1 Comment

Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Driver SOS (UK)

Get help with your own questions, find what's new and talk with people on the same journey

This is a premium community exclusive to our members to discuss all things motoring where some of the discussions have been made public but read-only for you to get a taste of what it's like on the inside. Membership is £2.99 for 30 days access, collected through Paypal and can be renewed or cancelled as you see fit.
2897 members . 1217 topics . 2221 posts
gices 23 Jun 2010

As the registered keeper of the car, you will be able to tax your vehicle without any problems. You can take the registration certificate (V5 form) with you together with the insurance policy documents and the MOT certificate for the car to the post office and get your tax disc there. If you want to do it online, you can still do it as you will have the registration certificate or road tax reminder letter because the logbook is in your name. On the day that you want you road tax to start, you will need to have valid MOT and adequate insurance on your car though. This applies to both online and post office applications.