Campervan insurance for 3 months to travel Europe for someone under 21

Posted by
3 replies
4 users

Am I able to get short-term (up to 3 months) campervan insurance for myself and a friend to travel around europe if we are under 21 (I'm 20, my friend is 19)? Also is there any european law on age limits regarding driving a campervan.

3 Replies

TyronneDeSilva Level 1

Camper van insurance to tour Europe for 6 months with Australian licence

hi there, i am over here in the UK on a working visa. I am planning on doing a van tour in 2011 with some mates, and we have purchased a Ford Transit Campervan. I would like to know if we can get insurance on our Australian licences, and where i would go to obtain a temporary insurance for say 6 months to travel around europe. If you could please get back to me asap that would be fantasic, as we are trying to organise everything asap. Thanks alot.

[Migrated from previous topic 11507 dated 13 Oct 2010]

anonymous_2 Level 1

Hi - my husband and have bought a camper van to tour the UK and Europe for 3 months - we are both over 50. We have a full Australian licence with 3 years no claims bonus - the camper is registered in the UK. Is there a company that would insure us?

[Migrated from previous post 2120 dated 23 Sep 2013]

gices Level 6

You can get short term campervan insurance to travel Europe but you'll be facing the same problem that everyone has with temporary car insurance - insurance companies will not take you on board if you're under 21. So unless you're taking someone who is over the age of 21 with you, I doubt you'll be able to get any insurance cover.

The only thing that I can think of to overcome the age restriction is to go with eVanInsurance on their Pay As You Go policy. The policy will run on a monthly basis and you would need to cancel when you no longer need it. So after month 2, send in your cancellation notice and that will give you 3 months worth of campervan insurance and you're sorted.

You need to check whether your licence permits you to drive your campervan (whether you have the right category on your licence, if campervan weighs more than 3500 kg etc). If that's all fine, then you shouldn't have any problems driving in Europe except that your age could hinder you from getting insurance for your campervan.

Have something to say?
Ask a Question