How to transfer no claims discount from one insurer to another?

last updated
3 replies
3 users
anonymous_2 07 Feb 2009
I have 2 years no claims discount with my current insurer. I've got a cheaper quote with another insurer, how do I transfer my no claims bonus to the new insurer?


Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Driver SOS (UK)

Get help with your own questions, find what's new and talk with people doing the same thing!

This is a premium community exclusive to our members to discuss all things motoring where some of the discussions have been made public but read-only for you to get a taste of what it's like on the inside. Membership is £2.99 for 30 days access, collected through Paypal and can be renewed or cancelled as you see fit.
2897 members . 1217 topics . 2221 posts
scottmc316 10 Oct 2019

Built up 2 years no claims on my own policy, will I lose this if I switch to a new insurer?

I had an accident in 2009 as a named driver under my father's policy, and have recently built up 2 years no claims on my own comprehensive policy with my own registered vehicle. If I switch to a new insurance provider, will I lose my no claims bonus?

[Migrated from previous topic 12123 dated 27 Mar 2011]

gices 10 Oct 2019

If the policy is in your own name, that is, if you're the main driver, and have accumulated two years no claims after the accident, then you will have no problems transferring your NCB to your new insurer.

[Migrated from previous post 1629 dated 27 Mar 2011]

gices 07 Feb 2009

When you cancel your insurance policy with your current insurer, shortly afterwards they will send you a document showing how much no claims bonus you have acquired. You normally have to send this document to your new insurer as proof of the no claims discount you're entitled to.

After you've completed a year with the new insurer, you will then earn another year's no claims discount on top of what you have. So your total no claims bonus will become 3 years (1 year from new insurer + 2 years discount from previous insurance company). If you then decide to move to another insurance company, you will be able to transfer 3 years no claims and the cycle will continue as long as you don't claim on your car insurance policy.