Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Join Community
Driver SOS (UK)
2888 members 1214 topics 2221 posts

Drink driving solicitors

last updated
6 replies
6 users
gices anonymous_2
If you have been charged with a drink driving offence and you're likely to be prosecuted, you may avoid the driving ban by appointing a drink driving solicitor to defend your case. There are many ways a solicitor can win your case but you need to contact one as soon as possible rather than wait till the last minute so that a solid case can be prepared for you. This will maximise your chances of being proven non-guilty for the driving offence.

A minimum driving ban of 12 months can be applied to someone who is found guilty as well as a fine of upto £5000 together with a jail sentence of upto 6 months. If you have had any alcohol offence within the last 10 years, the disqualification will be increased to 3 years instead of just 1 year. This will no doubt affect people who rely on driving to make a living and it may be difficult for them to find another job. In such cases, it is even more important to seek the help of a solicitor specialising in drink drive cases.

How can a drink drive solicitor help me

A solicitor whose main area of expertise is drink driving will have a vast pool of experience and knowledge to fight your case. Here are a couple of scenarios which can be used in court:

Technical Legal Argument
The solicitor may prove that you have consumed alcohol before you provided the specimens and after the time of the alleged offence which means when you were driving you were not drunk.

Defence of Necessity
Had you been drinking and had to drive because of threats of deaths or serious personal injury, then this may be used as a powerful argument in court provided you were driving over the prescribed alcohol limit to save your life.

Special Reasons
For this to be effective, the solicitor will need to show the court that there has been a special reason for the offence:
  • a) the offender had to move a vehicle to prevent a hazard or accident
  • b) drinks have been mixed with alcohol without the offender's knowledge

What are the costs/fees of a drink driving lawyer?

The cost of appointing a drink driving solicitor really depends on your individual case. There may be an initial fee to discuss your case and if you then decide to be represented in court by that solicitor, another fee will be agreed for that. Note that you should go for a solicitor with a proven track record in winning drink driving cases rather than a local one offering cheap services as this will highly impact the success of your case.

This is by no means an easy way to get out of drink driving offences but is rather a measure to prove your innocence and avoid situations that would have a deep impact in your life in a very negative way.

gices Published 15 Nov 2008


jojokleigh 15 Oct 2019

Multi drop driver with DR10 on licence, can I get job back after driving ban?

I was a multi drop driver who was banned for 12 months for drink driving. I now have a DR10 on my licence, will I ever be able to get work as a multi drop driver again? If so how long will I have to wait.

[Migrated from previous topic 11919 dated 05 Feb 2011]

anonymous_2 15 Oct 2019

probly never best off emigrating im in same boat for refusing a breath test after I was maced

[Migrated from previous post 2018 dated 02 Aug 2013]

biff 15 Oct 2019

Have dr10 from 4 years and 8 months ago, when can I apply for driving jobs?

Want to apply for delivery driver job but have dr10 from 4 years 8 months ago.

[Migrated from previous topic 11360 dated 31 Aug 2010]

nickyg 15 Oct 2019

I have two dr10 first one from 28/04/00 and 29/10/03 i would like to do some minicabing in my own car but my dr10 is still on my licence. will i be able to work as a minicab?

[Migrated from previous post 1266 dated 24 Sep 2010]

anonymous_2 07 Jul 2012

I am currently serving 2 years of a 3 year drink driving ban. It is my second drink driving ban, and my 3rd driving ban in the last 5 years. I have been banned previously for drink driving for 1 year, that was reduced to 9 months having completed a driving rehabilitation course. I was also banned for 56 days for speeding during that ran concurrently with my first ban. The first time I lost my licence it really had no impact on me or my lifestyle, the 2nd time however has taught me my lesson. I have now just got my first mortgage, and there is an opportunity for me to get a promotion if i can drive. Is there any point in me seeking legal advice to try and get the ban reduced? I am fully prepared to do the full term, but if there was any possibility of me getting it back sooner then i would like to look into it.

AnthonyBrown 11 Mar 2011

I have a two year ban. I have just completed at drink driving course which reduces it to 18 months. Can I get my licence back any earlier due to my work situation?