Can I insure a foreign car with italian number plate in the UK without changing the number plate?

last updated
2 replies
3 users
gianni60 16 Dec 2010

The car at the moment is in Italy and I will go and get it, will it be possible to insure it without changing the number plate? the car is a Volvo 40

Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Join Community
Driver SOS (UK)

Ask your own questions, comment, vote and do more

This is a premium community which requires a one-time joining fee of £2.99.

This is less than the price of a pint but allows us to keep the community active and helpful and will allow you to ask as many questions as you want and get help with your queries.
2884 members 1212 topics 2221 posts


JamesP555 03 Feb 2011

Yes, But you have to pay a small payment to keep that Number plate. I know why you would want to keep it anyway, The GB plates are terrible. Nice car mate, Go for it.

anonymous_2 24 Sep 2013

My friends live in italy and are driving their van over to the UK in march, can I drive it in the UK on their insurance? Or do I need to insure myself? I have been told the van has italian insurance that covers anyone who is driving it, does this apply here?