Can I have car insurance when I am not the registered owner

last updated
1 reply
2 users
leigh 12 Jul 2010

Is it possible to insure a car when I am not the registered keeper? Would the registered owner be able to go on my insurance (if possible) as a named driver?

1 Comment

Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Driver SOS (UK)

Get help with your own questions, find what's new and talk with people on the same journey

This is a premium community exclusive to our members to discuss all things motoring where some of the discussions have been made public but read-only for you to get a taste of what it's like on the inside. Membership is £2.99 for 30 days access, collected through Paypal and can be renewed or cancelled as you see fit.
2897 members . 1217 topics . 2221 posts
gices 12 Jul 2010

Currently there's no law which states that you need to be the registered keeper to insure a car. However you will find it really difficult to find car insurance if you're not the registered keeper but want to be the main driver. Most insurance companies will want the registered keeper to be the policyholder (main driver) and you will find that a lot of them will refuse to even quote you if the registered keeper is not listed as the main driver.

To answer your question, the registered keeper can become an additional driver on the car insurance policy but it is very rare to find such a company which will accept this nowadays.