Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Join Community
Driver SOS (UK)

Can I just display L plates to take my daughter out driving or do I need separate insurance?

rachael_4491 14 Jun 2010

My daughter wishes me to take her out driving as her driving instructor recommended it, do I have to have insurance for her or can I just display 'L' plates on my vehicle? Can she drive under my insurance with L plates or do I have to insure her under the company?

last updated
1 reply
2 users

1 Comment

gices 15 Jun 2010

Your insurance policy covers only you and not your daughter, therefore you will need to get her insured on your policy and get a separate insurance policy for her so that she can practice her driving in your car. When you are supervising a learner driver, you need to be over 21 and have held a valid licence your more than 3 years (which I don't think you'll have a problem with) and you need to also display the 'L' plates so that other people can know that there's a learner in the car.

If you can't get your daughter insured on your current insurance policy or if you'd prefer to get short term learner insurance instead, I'd suggest you have a look at Collingwood Insurance.