Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Join Community
Driver SOS (UK)
2898 members 1217 topics 2221 posts

Extended Driving Test

last updated
23 replies
11 users
1 like
gices anonymous_2

Extended driving tests are given by a court as a result of careless driving or an offence that causes the court to hand out this requirement before being let back onto the road. The court will order that you return to a learner driver until you can show that you can safely drive on the road by taking this extended test. If this happens, you will need to go back to the beginning and apply for a provisional licence, pass the theory test and then pass the extended driving test.

A standard driving test takes 40 minutes whereas the extended driving test will last around 70 minutes. When you go for your extended driving test you will have to show that you are a competent and safe driver adhering to the driving rules. Extended driving tests fees are slightly higher so make sure you state this when booking the test otherwise you will have to pay again for the correct test and may lose your money.

The cost of the extended test for disqualified drivers is currently £124 on weekdays and £150 on Saturday, nearly double the fees for a normal one.

If you are banned from driving until you can pass the extended driving test, bear in mind that because of insurance reasons most instructors will not be able to teach you. You may find that it will be harder to find an approved driving instructor (ADI). If this is the case, remember that you can have someone teach you that is over the age of 21 with a clean driving history of 3 years or more. You will have to show that you are better than a learner driver without any bad habits.

Sorting out car insurance for the test

If you're going to use your driving instructor's car, you're covered. However if you plan to use your own car, you'll need to get insured for the day and Collingwood may be able to help with this.

Getting back on the road again

If you have a friend or family member who is able to teach you how to drive sensibly again, then remember the following:

  • They must be over 21 with at least 3 years driving experience
  • You must display L plates on the front and rear of the car
  • You must not drive on the motorway

Try and get experience driving different roads, from dual carriageways to urban and one way systems. Roundabouts are still a favourite for testing new drivers and so are manoeuvres, so make sure you are doing it right. Be safe and try to be more aware of your surroundings and if you are not sure drive slowly as it's better to be safe than sorry. Practice gear changing and indicating and looking in mirrors before turning a corner.

Get as much practice as you can and remember be safe because although you probably know how to drive already, chances are that you may not have the appropriate driving skills to pass the practical test because examiners are looking for specific things before giving you a pass.

gices Published 14 Feb 2010
I'm a Software Developer and the founder of Clever Dodo. I encourage people to practice MAM (Movement/Arts/Meditation) for a well-balanced and happy life. Born in Mauritius and now living in the UK, I usually blog about fitness, music, spirituality and driving topics to pass on my knowledge.


Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Driver SOS (UK)

Get help with your own questions, discover what's new and talk with people doing the same thing

This is a premium community exclusive to our members to discuss all things motoring where some of the discussions have been made public but read-only for you to get a taste of what it's like on the inside. Membership is £9.99 for 30 days access, collected through Paypal and can be subsequently renewed or cancelled as you see fit.
2898 members . 1217 topics . 2221 posts
SeanLonergan 02 Nov 2019

Extended driving test in Bristol

I am looking to start lessons again with an instructor and need an extended test due to being disqualified. Can you recommend any instructors in the Bristol area that can help?

[Migrated from previous topic 11010 dated 02 May 2010]

gices 02 Nov 2019

The extended driving test is no different from the standard driving test except that it is longer. So you can learn with any Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) near you live in Bristol. As long as you can show that you are a competent driver who can drive safely, you should have no problems passing the test. The test is longer for drivers who have been disqualified because the court wants to be double sure that you are not going to be a threat to the society when you are allowed behind the wheels again.

If you have any family or friends who can recommend a competent driving instructor in your area, it might be worth going with him than somebody else.

[Migrated from previous post 880 dated 10 May 2010]

Manibutt 02 Nov 2019

I have passed my driving test in dec 2012 but was banned in sep 2009 now that I hold a driving licence and I got a letter in the post telling me that I should of taken a extended test which I didn't at the time but now they want to take my licence off and telling me to take it all over again. Can I go to court and ask them to take this extend test off and let me keep my driving lincence coz I'm sure dvla should of check that before they gave my driving licence ? What I do ?

[Migrated from previous post 1679 dated 30 May 2011]

JacquelineStoffels 01 Nov 2019

Does extended driving test include both theory and practical test?

Driving ban for dangerous driving expires in August. I was told to do extended driving test. Does that include theory and/or practical? Can I start now to book for lessons?

[Migrated from previous topic 11258 dated 25 Jul 2010]

gices 01 Nov 2019

If you've been asked to do the extended driving test, then you'll have to do the theory test along with hazard perception and then a practical test which lasts for 70 minutes (standard test is roughly 40 minutes). You cannot book driving lessons or any tests unless you have a valid licence. Sometimes just before you driving ban ends, you are allowed to start with the theory but you'll have to speak to the DVLA to see if that applies in your case.

[Migrated from previous post 1120 dated 27 Jul 2010]

JacquelineStoffels 01 Nov 2019

How do I apply for licence? Does that mean I had to apply for a provisional licence first? Thanks for the information already provided..

[Migrated from previous post 1179 dated 30 Jul 2010]

jack_5 01 Nov 2019

How many questions for the theory test are there?

[Migrated from previous post 1496 dated 18 Jan 2011]

james1976 10 Oct 2019

Do I have to take extended test in a ADI's car or can I take it in my own?

I have to take a extended driving test, can I take this test in my own or family members car as I've been told that I'm classed as banned till I sit this test?

[Migrated from previous topic 12081 dated 16 Mar 2011]

gices 10 Oct 2019

You can take the extended driving test in your own car as long as it meets the criteria specified by DSA and you have adequate insurance cover on it.

[Migrated from previous post 1613 dated 16 Mar 2011]

keithrg1976 04 Oct 2019

Where can I get 1 day insurance for extended driving test?

I am coming to the end off my 1 year driving ban and have to.

  • apply for licence pay fee.
  • apply and pass my theorys.
  • apply and pass my extended practical test. (2 months added really)

The problem i'm having is finding short term insurance to cover me for the test. My mums is going to meet me at test centre, I do test, (I am a gold pass ROSPA Member) hopefully pass. The examiner i believe sends off licence. Mum takes her car away i go home. I know that a few hrs cover is probably impossible but shortest term i have found is 1 month.

Any suggestions please on companies to try ps im 40 years old which seem to cause an issue to. 1 days insurance would be good or even a week. Cheers on advance. Hoping i get ally entitlements back so i can carry pillion on my 50cc without having to do cbt. (As i can't afford the premiums for a car probably to ban expires) then will go for classic car policy.

[Migrated from previous topic 12610 dated 22 Jan 2016]

keithgutteridge 10 Aug 2016

Im haveing trouble finding temp insurance to take test in private car. Any recommendations please.

anonymous_2 24 Sep 2013

I passed my driving test in 1987 but got banned and need to do an extended re-test. Not a problem but when i do the new test will I be entitled to drive all the categories as per my old licence.

gices 28 Dec 2013

No, all previous entitlements are lost. You will need to pass the test for each additional category you want included on your licence afterwards.

anonymous_2 23 Sep 2013

I was banned in 2007 for dangerous driving and asked to take a extended re-test and it says on my licence disqualified until extended test passed. Does this mean I am still banned as the court banned me for 12 months at the time in 2007 as I had a hypo at the wheel?

gices 28 Dec 2013

It means you can apply for a provisional licence after the 12 months ban term is over and you can only start driving again after completing the extended test.

anonymous_2 08 Jul 2012

I'm a disqualified driver what company can I contact for insurance. I'm on a provisional licence till I pass an extended test. Been on quote zone filled in their form and right at the end it says they make assumptions that (1) I have no medical reason I can't drive and (2) I'm not disqualified. What's the point in that?

gices 28 Dec 2013

Are you looking for insurance to learn to drive in a private car?

anonymous_2 07 Jul 2012

My friends ban was up and he got his licence back saying disqualified until extended test sat. Can he drive a 125 bike with this across his provisional, he had full car licence before ban my ban was a car licence for 5 year up this month.

gices 28 Dec 2013

To ride a 125cc, you need to complete a CBT and you require that even if you have a full car licence.

anonymous_2 07 Jul 2012

When you have been banned and got to take an extended driving test, does that mean you have to take your motorcycle test again? I've been banned and applied for my licence again and told got to take an extended driving test, do I have to take my motorcycle test again?

gices 28 Dec 2013

Yep, the disqualification automatically cancels all previous entitlements. You start back at zero.

LeonRadford 24 Aug 2010

Extended tests are over-priced, no wonder DSA can afford posh new offices.

gices 28 Dec 2013

Yep, it's nearly double the price for the standard test.