Car insurance for disabled driver

last updated
4 replies
4 users
1 like
WendyButcher 22 Jan 2010

My husband is disabled and is the owner and registered keeper of his land rover (which has a disability class on it) but has lost his license on medical grounds. I am a named driver and the only one that can drive him anywhere. I also have my own car. How does he go about getting insurance without a license. Thanks.



Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Driver SOS (UK)

Get help with your own questions, find what's new and talk with people on the same journey

This is a premium community exclusive to our members to discuss all things motoring where some of the discussions have been made public but read-only for you to get a taste of what it's like on the inside. Membership is £2.99 for 30 days access, collected through Paypal and can be renewed or cancelled as you see fit.
2897 members . 1217 topics . 2221 posts
pandora 16 Oct 2019

Disabled learner driver insurance

My son had the higher rate of dla and has his provisional driving license now; he is 16 are there any insurance companies that will insure him to learn to drive in his own car please? Disabled learner driver insurance.

[Migrated from previous topic 11521 dated 16 Oct 2010]

gices 16 Oct 2019

Is the car he'll be driving adapted by any means (modified for his particular requirements)?

[Migrated from previous post 1330 dated 16 Oct 2010]

PhillipTapper 16 Oct 2019

hi there yes there are insurance company for disabled driver for your son is 16 yrs go to this website for info

[Migrated from previous post 1563 dated 13 Feb 2011]

gices 02 Feb 2010


It is implied that when you take car insurance, you have a valid driving licence. Since your husband's licence has been revoked by the DVLA on medical grounds, he will not be able to get insurance in his name. Therefore you have the following options - you can change the insurance policy so that you now become the policyholder instead of your husband and use the Land Rover or you can cancel the insurance policy for that particular car.

If your husband needs to be transported in an adapted car, then you will have to keep the Land Rover to drive him but if he can travel in your car, then it would be easier to just do that.