Driver SOS (UK)

Helping with car insurance, driving bans, learning to drive and other motoring issues

Join Community
Driver SOS (UK)

Can i insure a car as a learner with a named driver on it.

funkyfi 04 Oct 2014

Can i insure my hubby's car as he banned, i am a learner and does my named driver need to have the car parked at their house?

last updated
1 reply
2 users

1 Comment

gices 04 Oct 2014
  1. You can insure a car even if you're just a learner (as long as you've got your provisional licence) but the premiums will be quite high
  2. Named drivers do not have many restrictions on them, it's the main driver/policyholder who has to be the registered keeper to keep insurers happy
  3. Someone who is banned is not insured anymore because their licence has become invalid; you can certainly insure your husband's car but you may need to get the registration certificate transferred to your name

Hope that helps.